The United Nations University Office at the United Nations, New York (UNU-ONY) recruits Junior Fellows for two sessions each year running from August to January, and February to July.
Responsibilities of the Junior Fellows range widely, encompassing many aspects of UNU-ONY’s work. These responsibilities fit into the following aspects:
Public Event Programmes
Junior Fellows organize public seminars and invitation-only forums to showcase UNU’s research and work from different UNU institutes and programmes around the world, and promote a dialogue around global issues relevant to the UN. Responsibilities of event organizers include liaising with speakers, preparing scripts for video interviews, planning the agenda, arranging media coverage, conducting background research and other responsibilities that are needed to make the event a success.
Multimedia and IT
Responsibilities include filming events and interviews, editing and organizing video and audio files of events and interviews, conducting live webcast of events, updating the website contents, and other technical support if required.
Fundraising and Development
Junior Fellow(s) selected assists with fundraising, development and other related work as required.
Junior Fellows are also responsible for general office work and administrative support, building database of experts, assisting in the recruitment process of Junior Fellows for the following session, as well as research assistance if needed.
Please note that UNU-ONY Junior Fellows positions require full-time commitments. These are unpaid positions. UNU-ONY does not run summer internships.
Deadlines for applications are as follows:
February 1st to July 31st 2011 Session: 30 November 2010 August 1st 2011 to January 31st 2012 Session: 15 May 2011
Qualifications required for Junior Fellows:
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Advanced level of English (spoken and written)
- Ability to work with a team
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Strong writing and analytical skills
- Knowledge of at least two official UN languages desirable
- Master’s degree within relevant subjects preferred
- Complete the application form by clicking on the following button:
- For your application you will need to collect the following application materials:
- Cover letter
- 1-3 page writing sample in English
- 1-3 page writing sample in another language, preferable in French, Spanish or other UN official languages
- Two letters of recommendation, preferably to be sent directly to UNU-ONY by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org [subject line: “Reference Letter – Candidate’s Last Name, First Name”]
- Scanned version of the complete form (signed and stamped) from your nominating institution. (This form is applicable to candidates seeking internship as part of their current studies. This form can be downloaded below).
If you are seeking this internship as part of your current studies, please submit this academic nomination form duly filled by your university. Please email the academic nomination form as attachments to the UNU-ONY Office at: email@example.com [subject line: Junior Professional Fellowships].